Thursday 28 July 2011

Light bulb moment

She took me to Carla's jumping field at Lidwell today.  There I was presented with a lilac and white cross pole about six inches high.  I had no idea what I was meant to do with it.  In the end I stepped over it a few times, then hopped over it and then did a little jump.  I did the same thing with a blue cross pole - then, I suddenly realised that these things were jumps - just like the ones we have at home.  A light bulb went off in my head!  Then I set off at a brisk canter and soared over all the other jumps, to much praise.

She has been reading 'Equitation Science' by Paul McGreevy and Andrew McLean, and said that I am living proof of the part that says in the beginning phase of learning a new task, reaction is context specific.  Apparently I now have to learn to generalise - in other words, recognise show jumps wherever they are.  That was a lot of learning for one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment